Laurus nobilis, or Laurel leaf, is a small evergreen tree that has played an important role in Mediterranean culture for millennia. In both the Greek and Roman cultures, laurel leaves were revered as a symbol of victory and success, and in contemporary Chinese culture they are associated with the phases of the moon. In the culinary world, the laurel leaf is also known as the “bay leaf”, commonly used to flavor soups and stews.
The leaves of Laurus nobilis have uses outside of victory wreaths and food seasoning. When steam distilled, they produce a powerfully fragrant essential oil that has substantial cleansing and soothing properties we can benefit from. There are two primary constituents present in Laurus nobilis or Laurel leaf: 1,8-cineole (eucalyptol) and, alpha-terpinyl acetate. Together these give Laurel leaf a strong, herbaceous, and slightly spicy aroma that’s beneficial when used aromatically (breathing in the aroma or to purify the air) or topically (on the surface of the skin or as a surface cleanser).
The inhalation of the herbal, minty and refreshing aroma of Laurel Leaf was shown, in a clinical trial, to promote feelings of clear thinking and concentration. Its rich concentration of 1,8-cineole, gives it powerful cleansing abilities when applied topically to the skin or on surfaces. Also, due to its soothing properties, Laurel Leaf may be a great addition to an aromatherapy massage.
Energetically, Laurel Leaf essential oil promotes a courageous and confident environment. It supports feelings of concentration, focus, and clarity. Diffuse or simply take a few deep inhales of Laurel Leaf essential oil when you need an invigorating, uplifting aroma. Laurel Leaf is included in the doTERRA Breathe Respiratory Blend, which helps promote feelings of clear airways and easy breathing and can help support feelings of grief or loss. This oil is not regularly available and comes free this month as the product of the month.
~6 ways to use Laurel Leaf essential oil~
- Soothing to the skin, add a drop to your moisturizer in the evening.
- Place a couple drops in your morning shower to promote an aroma of confidence, clarity, and courage.
- Use for a soothing massage that is invigorating to the senses.
- Pair with Lemon essential oil; add a few drops of each to a spray bottle with water for a natural surface cleanser.
- Diffuse Laurel Leaf essential oil to sustain focus while working on a difficult school or work project.
- Make your own Laurel Leaf Reed Diffuser :)